February 10, 2010

the others

"The little black dress is classic because you can wear it with anything, dressy or not, and it still looks good..." is probably the most common line in any fashion book or magazine. While I agree that this is true, I don't really see myself as the girl who always wears a black dress to any function or party. In fact, of all my dresses, I only have 1 black one. So, I've come to the concusion that the LBD philosophy can be applied to other dresses too! Here are some examples:

The Little Blue Dress:
In the movie 500 Days of Summer, Summer is constantly wearing light blue, simple dresses that go anywhere and always look great. This is an example of how the black dress is not the only option (plus, would Summer ever wear a black dress?). A blue dress can be dressed up with heels and a cardigan, or dressed down with flats or even Converse or Keds.


The Funky Professional Look
In Confessions of a Shopaholic, Rebecca is always dressed up, but never boring. A pencil skirt or cocktail dress can be totally dressy when worn for the right occasion, like a school dance, but also look nice if covered up and dressed down. Now, I know it doesn't really make sense to wear a cocktail dress for day to day activities, especially since I'm still in school, but in general, the idea of being able to still show color and spirit without just wearing black is important.

The Sundress
The sundress is perfect for this kind of thing because it can be worn for all different occasions (weather permitting, of course). It can be simply worn to go shopping, walking, traveling, whatever, but can also be dressed up with heels for a fancy occasion in the summer. My favorite thing about it is that these are all completely different, colorful, and interesting.

Oout of all these, I woud have to say that my favorite is probably the sundress because of the colors and the versatility that comes with wearing one. What's yours?

5 comments:

  1. I really like the blue dress and the summer dress!!! summer dresses are comfy enough for traveling but you a ton more put together than wearing sweats. love the pics you put up! 500 days of summer and confessions of a shopaholic are two of my all time favorite movies!!
    sincerely,
    the Girl in the Purple Pants

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! i love those movies too, although 500 Days of Summer does have its quirkiness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. loving taylors look! i love the colour x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am still a big fan of the little black dress but I guess you have opened me up to new options I really do like the sundress too. XD

    From Dolly
    XXXX
    http://dollydaydreamsdomicile.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love love love the little blue dress. you could still even call it the LBD.
    500 days of summer is an amazing movie as well as is zooey deschanel <3

    http://domino-fashionprodigy.blogspot.com

    Bonjour,
    Domino

    ReplyDelete