February 14, 2010

look at it the right way.

EEEEK! It's fashion week! (hey that rhymes..)

During Spring 2010 fashion week, I was just barely getting into fashion, so I didn't really get what was going on (I remember trying to figure out if it was about clothes for fall or spring, geez). Anyways, I've come far I think, so now I am actually excited! I am also obsessingly checking twitter every hour for updates. Best fashion twitters for this week: @bryanboy, @fuggirls, @cutblog, @bunnyBISOUS.

So far, my favorite show (from the pictures off style.com) has been Cynthia Steffe. The look was called "schoolgirl-chic" by the Seventeen editor, and I agree. I love the berets, knee socks, and skirts. SO cool! Take a look:
This one is probably my absolute favorite, which is odd because it's not something I'd typically like.

photos: style.com

Fashion week, and also fashion in general, really makes me think. I remember when I first started looking at runway photos, I would be like, "Oh my god, who would ever wear that in public!? How weird!"
I know now that fashion is like that. Runway shows aren't necessarily always practical, but they are always notable. That being said, it does vary. For example, I would definitely wear pieces of this Cynthia Steffe collection any day (if I could buy them), but I'd have to be feeling really adventurous to wear a McQueen (RIP!) or a Rodarte piece to school or something. Some shows are more about wearability than others, but that doesn't change the fashion value they have. It's all about how you personally interpret the clothes and looks. There are definitely people, Tavi for example, who do not hesitate to buy and proudly wear something crazy because they like it, and I commend them for it. All I'm saying is that it seems that some shows definitely convey different meanings than others, some being more extreme.

I sort of got inspired to write this after reading Robin Ghivan's fashion column today about how designers do not always think of their shows in terms of people, and more out of their own pride. I didn't fully agree with her, and also it was sad reading the parts about how some designers are losing money and blindly struggling forward. Read it here.

What has your favorite show been so far? How do you feel about the practicality of shows?

5 comments:

  1. I know what you are saying like 2 years ago I thought some designer outfits celebrities wore were hideous but the thing that matters is how you put it together not how you wear it. If you wore like a piece from Comme De Garcons and didn't know what to wear it with then that's how you end up in those columns in magazine's rating you a 0/10 in style (which personally I think should not be allowed.

    From Dolly
    XXXXX
    http://dollydaydreamsdomicile.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, cute collection! I love school girl style.

    MEME-STYLENEWBIE.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this collection too!
    I absoletley love the preppy school girl look, but yet the roughness of the last one is a perfect mix but with maybe a little something extra to add to the whole school girl thing. Anyway love the site and you have great taste!!!! <3

    www.emidoodlesfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point!! I always thought fashion was when you look good you feel good, but now I know it's more than that. Some designer outfits are waaaaaaaay too crazy and costume like and I would never in a million years wear them in public, but who knows? I guess the more you know about fashion the more realistic it seems.
    Sincerely,
    Jen
    p.s. Love the pictures you put up!!! The berets are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete